To the Pediatrician that was in My Corner

Posted in DYRK1A by

Sharing is caring!

Thank you.

I know I can’t say thank you enough, but thank you.

You were there for us during our darkest of days. Advocating for us. Cheering for us.

From day one, you have always been there for us.

Doctors take a vow to take care of their patients, but you went above and beyond that promise. You ensured that our son Jaxson got all of the help that he needed.

You had us come in two days after being discharged to ensure that he was doing okay, you wanted to make sure that he was eating enough. I’m so glad that you did. I wasn’t aware at that time that he couldn’t suck and swallow well at all, and he lost a whole pound.

You had us come in weekly for weight checks, and scolded the corpsman when they didn’t weigh him without his diaper – children at that age needed to be weighed without a diaper, every ounce counts.

We were admitted to the Children’s Hospital out in town because of you – you were adamant that they admit us and find out why Jaxson wasn’t thriving.

We continued to have weekly weight checks until Jaxson was about five or six months old – when he really started thriving. Some may think it was excessive, but you did everything in your power to make sure that our warrior had a fighting chance.

You were the one who dotted his I’s and crossed his T’s, you sent us out for every referral imaginable: Ear, Nose, and Throat, Physical Therapy, Feeding Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Genetics, Pulmonary, Gastroenterology, Sleep Specialist, and more.

You were even the one who diagnosed our son with Laryngomalacia, a Pediatrician not an E.N.T. Specialist. I was able to find support with the Laryngomalacia community before finally receiving the official diagnosis from the Specialist.

I thank you for that, it gave me answers and a peace of mind – peace of mind that I wasn’t crazy.

With your diligence Jaxson started to roll, he started to crawl, he started to thrive

Boy did he start to thrive.

Your persistence also found us his Diagnosis: Dyrk1a Syndrome. Some had to wait years and years, but with your tenacity, we found it much sooner than that. Now we can continue to get all of the help our warrior needs to be all he can be in this world.

Fast forward to today, we are now in North Carolina with a new team of doctors and I hope that they will have the same drive and compassion as you. I can’t thank you enough for all of your help, your due diligence, and your hope for us.

I will never forget your kindness and determination.

Thank you, thank you so much.

Please share image below!

Thank you to our Pediatrician #Dyrk1a #Awareness #Kindness #Letter

Previous Post Next Post

13 Comments

• Reply Emma | Muddy Boots and Diamonds

I love this! I keep meaning to write a similar post to the pediatrician who really took the time to listen to my concerns about my son’s developmental delays. So many people dismissed my concerns — doctors and family alike. She helped pave the way for me to get him the services I knew he needed. <3

February 12, 2019 at 10:39 am
    • Reply Jennifer

Hello Emma,
      Thank you for so much for commenting and sharing your story. If you do end up writing it please let me know! I would love to read it. <3

February 15, 2019 at 6:45 pm
  • Reply Sheila

It’s so important to have those people who will go to bat for us. Who are strong for us so we can pause and be weak for just one moment. I’m glad you had some people that that. #KCACOLS

February 18, 2019 at 2:08 am
  • Reply Lisa Pomerantz

It sounds like you were all in very good hands from the get-go. May it always stay that way. Sending love and healing light your way! xoxo #KCACOLS xoxo

February 20, 2019 at 3:07 pm
    • Reply Jennifer

Thank you so much Lisa, I hope as well!

February 25, 2019 at 3:35 pm
      • Reply Ruth - Mummy and the Mexicans

This is a lovely post and a really positive story. I hope your son continues to get such wonderful medical attention and continues to thrive. #kcacols

February 27, 2019 at 2:58 pm
  • Reply Jenna - NorthernBird84

Doctors like this are worth their weight in gold. I hope somehow he sees this post, and I hope that it inspires others to be better. Much love to you and your warrior #KCACOLS

February 25, 2019 at 7:53 am
  • Reply Peachy & Clementine

Having a good pediatrician makes all the difference. We love ours too but have heard horrible stories from friends who are not so lucky. I’m so glad that your little one is doing well now. It’s so stressful when something is wrong. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time

February 25, 2019 at 3:00 pm
  • Reply Jennifer Cannon

As a Chronic Illness Warrior, I love everything about this post! I struggled for years to get a diagnosis so I know how valuable a Doctor that listens and cares really means. My advice is that since you know what great care looks like, fight to make sure your son always gets nothing less. They are Doctors and they know a lot but you know your child better than anyone.
    #KCACOLS.

February 27, 2019 at 11:28 am
    • Reply Jennifer

Hello Jennifer, thank you for sharing your story. I absolutely agree that we know our children better than anyone! We are their voice. If you don’t mind me asking, what chronic illness do you have? <3

March 5, 2019 at 7:52 am
  • Reply Bread

This is great, I’m really glad you had someone fighting your corner. #kcaols

February 27, 2019 at 12:57 pm
    • Reply Jennifer

Thank you Bread, I wish we could take him wherever we go!

March 5, 2019 at 7:51 am