This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through my links. For more information please read my disclosure policy here.
Last week I had this craving for banana bread, it just over powered me. If you’ve been following my blog for some time you would know much I like to work out and eat clean. I decided to toy around with the traditional banana bread recipe and make it more “healthy“.
I substituted whole eggs with egg whites, cinnamon applesauce for sugar, and more. I don’t know about you but I love Starbucks’ bread but one slice had 22g of fat, 52g of carbs, and 30g of sugar! Yikes!
I plan on making other variations of this in the future! I’m thinking pumpkin (because I’m basic), cranberry, or some chocolate chip banana bread recipe!
Without further ado, here’s the recipe!
Better for You Banana Bread
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 4 ripe mashed bananas
- 3 egg whites
- 4 oz cinnamon apple sauce (or plain)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 or 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- (optional: liquid stevia for sweetness)
- Mix all the wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl: mashed bananas, vanilla extract, coconut oil, egg whites, almond milk, and apple sauce.*Liquid stevia is optional
- Mix all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Carefully mix dry ingredients into large mixing bowl with wet ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350. Let mixture sit out for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Bake for 45 minutes (might be less depending on your oven).
- Take out and let it cool on a baking rack.