This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through my links. For more information please read my disclosure policy here.
Find the right pregnancy pillows for sleep and why you should get one for your pregnancies…
Pregnancy pillows are a godsend for every expecting mom! Seriously, so many moms have benefited from purchasing a pregnancy pillow during their pregnancy, myself included.
There is so much changing within your body with the hormones and everything shifting, some times things get so uncomfortable. And man was I uncomfortable during my second pregnancy – from 5 weeks pregnant to the day I deliver it was painful.
If you’re hesitant with purchasing a pregnancy pillow because of the cost or you think you won’t benefit from it, think again. You’ll thank me later.
You May Also Like:
- 13 Postpartum Recovery Essentials Every New Mom Needs
- 40 Things To Do Before Baby is Born
- 10 Alarming Pregnancy Symptoms Every Pregnant Woman Must Know
- 7 Things I Wish I Knew About Postpartum (No Fluff)
- Simple Ways to Take Care of Yourself During Your Pregnancy
My Painful experience
As I previously mentioned, I experienced pelvic pain really early with my second pregnancy. I’m not sure if it stemmed from my traumatic childbirth and recovery with my first pregnancy or not, but it started really early.
Because I started to experience pregnancy pain early, I had my husband buy me a full-sized pregnancy pillow. I’m a side sleeper, always have been. I would take the pregnancy pillow and wedge it in between my legs as I laid on my side.
As my pregnancy progressed, it got even more painful. It got to the point where I would have to lay on my back with numerous pillows wedging me up. I also worked full-time as a chiropractic assistant which had me on my feet on a daily basis. Some times I logged 20,000 steps on my Fitbit!
After awhile I had to start sitting at a desk versus caring for the patients but once I delivered that baby boy, things started to go back to normal. I was walking to and fro with ease (not saying everyone will have the same experience).
Why Pregnancy Pillows are amazing for Sleep
Investing in a pregnancy pillow can help you in more ways than just getting a good nights rest, there are many other benefits of pregnancy pillows:
- Supports body support for your back, belly, hips, and more
- Stimulates deep sleep (Parenting Healthy Babies)
- Improves blood circulation
- Good for baby support
- Reduces heartburn and indigestion
Types of Pregnancy Pillows
There are so many different types of pregnancy pillows! My favorite was your standard body billow but other mom-to-be’s love the u-shaped pillow or wedges:
- Pregnancy Body Pillow – A pregnancy body pillow (my favorite) is a full-sized body pillow. You can either cuddle with the full-sized body pillow or lay on your side and sandwich it in between your legs.
- U-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow – Like the name states, this is a U-Shaped pillow. This pillow contours around your body and can be used to wrap around your back or sandwiched in between your legs while you sleep on your side.
- Inflatable Pregnancy Pillow – This pillow is often used for individuals who sleep on their stomachs.
- Pregnancy Wedge – A pregnancy wedge allows you to wedge in between the mattress and belly to keep the belly elevated and comfortable.
What to Consider when Purchasing a pregnancy pillow
Before you purchase a pregnancy pillow, you need to ask yourself the following questions:
- How do you sleep?
- Are you a back sleeper?
- Side sleeper?
- Stomach sleeper?
- How do you like the softness?
- Do you like firm pillows?
- Soft, foam-like, pillows?
When should You start Using a pregnancy pillow?
I experienced a lot of pelvic pain early on in my pregnancy with my second child – I was 5 weeks pregnant and couldn’t lay on my side. It was absolutely excruciating. Other moms experience back pain early on in their pregnancy as well and require a pregnancy pillow.
It all depends on you, mama. You should definitely invest in the pillow prior to experiencing pain – it has plenty of benefits for you and your body throughout your pregnancy!
You May Also Like:
- 26+ Gift Ideas for Pregnant Women (She Will Actually Use)
- Budget-Friendly Baby Shower Games
- Pregnancy Essentials for All Trimesters
- 6 Pregnancy Essentials That Made My Pregnancy Comfortable
The Best Pregnancy Pillows for Sleep of 2020
My Final Thoughts
Pregnancy pillow can benefit any mama, whether you’re a back sleeper, side sleeper, or belly sleeper. My favorite pregnancy pillow is the full-sized pillow wedged in between my legs.
What was your favorite pregnancy pillow throughout your pregnancy?
Save this as a reference for later!